Location at the north side of the golf course in Stornoway.
Recently restored, Latta’s Mill is a very fine example of an ‘overshot’ corn mill, one of three built by the Mackenzie family, owners of Lewis at the time.
The mill was named after John Latta, who died there after an accident in 1834.
The mill was destroyed by fire in 1890 and not rebuilt until recently.
Some of the original equipment, including the mill stone and part of the wheel etc can be seen at the mill.
All of the other equipment has been completely rebuilt. Inside the mill interpretive displays tell the story of the mill and its workings.
A must see for families with young children. They will be enthralled by the water and the motion. No entrance fee.