stands overlooking Stornoway harbour, the impressive Castle (not Lewis Castle) was built in the mid 1800's ( 1847 and 1857) by a rich merchant called Sir James Matheson of the Jardine Matheson company.
Sir James bought the island of Lewis in 1844, developed the surrounding landscaped area and built his mock Tudor castle.
Lord Leverhume bought the building, complete with the island, in 1918, and in 1923 gave it back to the people of Lewis.
The Lews Castle has been used since as a hospital in the Second World War, and also as a college and school, before being deemed unsafe.
The castle has a large woodland area of mixed trees, which is a rarity for the Island, with its high winds and acid soil.
The Castle Grounds therefore are a wonderful place to go for a walk on well maintained paths and roads.
The Grounds also are the location of Latta's Mill, so named after a miller called John Latta, who died there after an accident in 1834
There is an 18-hole golf course also adjacent to the castle adding even more recreational area.
The Castle has recently been refurbished and now has a cafe and hotel, along with the recently built museum.
Click all images to enlarge